Wednesday, July 1, 2015


You may not believe it if I say I found the way from the airport to New Haven was much like the one of the suburban area of my home city, Changsha in China., "I just don't feel out of China yet", as one of the lovely ladies among us said.
Life flies and we have been in America for four endeared days so far. Freedom and equality are the two things that hold my deepest impression:
Freedom    
I think American people are born free, literally. For one thing, they can be borne of any kinds: black; white; colored; Asian origin; European origin; Jewish; Christian...... 
While I was in the bus to Yale, I loved to peep into the cars passing by: the people diversity was conspicuous. You never know what comes next so that you expect some gorgeous features to stir your heart, and you always get it.
In America, it seems you can show up in any way. Nobody really cares. This makes conscious people like me feel better. I am no longer worried while in my low heels, and concerned less about my skinny facial feature. If once I wear the wrong thing, I worry for 1 habitual minute and then learn to let it go because I know nobody here really cares.
Equality
Sometimes equality may come shockingly as the opposite of freedom. For example, if freedom of running fast as it is supposed to do. In America, most of us 15 "family" members are just touched by the sweet and softness of the drivers who slowed their vehicles for us, especially when sometimes it was obvious we were the trouble makers. The strong and powerful steel just consents to the flesh, and live in harmonious equality.

Another thing is about the homeless people in the town. We ran into them frequently in some parts of New Haven. I don't know them all but my impression is that they are not as humble-felt as their counterpart in China. They may look at you into the eyes, smiling, saying, "Be happy and just smile" in the early morning when two of us were exploring the mystery of the early city. They may also kindly show you the way before asking for some change, which was hard to turn down.
The last but not at all the least is the professors here. In my impression so far, Americans are generally friendly and kind. The professor are extremely cordial. They do not possess the authority air as Chinese professors traditionally do. The dean spoke at the opening ceremony and the students may cheer or make jokes at him. And he seemed to enjoy the non-superior position of this kind. In our classroom, students sit around the lovely instructor. We just love Siggy and Carrie who are always so nice, loving, interesting, and easy to approach.

Other things, like the air, the food, the greenness, American enthusiasm in their work, the big big and big space...may come next. So, just wait......

1 comment:

  1. I shall truly enjoy looking at my country through your own eyes. All of us become discouraged these days about the things that occur around us and we sometimes forget the magic that surrounds us as well. Thank you for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete